Sunday, May 10, 2015

Saturday Music Club on Mother's Day: Jimi Hendrix covers, of course

The Lovell Sisters: "Bleeding Heart"; "Folsom Prison Blues"


Bandits (Jasmin Tabatabai): "All Along the Watchtower"


The Gil Evans Orchestra: "Crosstown Traffic"


Turtle Island Quartet: "Hey, Joe"


Kronos Quartet: "Purple Haze"


Kalei Gamiao, Aldrine Guerrero, Taimane Gardner, Ryo Kyas: "Little Wing"


Kevin Kmetz: "Purple Haze"


Juliette Valduriez: "Voodoo Child"

Jess Greenberg: "All Along the Watchtower"


Orianthi: "Voodoo Child"


4 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

There is some seriously odd stuff, there, Todd. Whew. Kronos went a little too far - way to far - off key, even compared to the original. Perhaps some things should be left alone?

Todd Mason said...

Well, the first violinist in later performances likes to push the bent notes even further. I like it, myself, but the earlier recordings are better. I think most of these might grow on you, given the chance.

Rick Robinson said...

Perhaps, but I doubt that will happen. I want to to listen to jazz or classical that falls softly on my ears at this point.

Charlie Ricci said...

I've never heard the original Sketches of Spain by I like of what I heard by Lew Soloff. He's one of the BS&T guys on their 1st album after Al Kooper split.